Monday, May 27, 2013

Koka Noodles review

Koka Noodles
Type: instant Noodles
Flavor: Spicy Singapore Fried Noodles (Mi Goreng)
Price: Rs 40

What to have for breakfast is one thought that nags me every night before going to sleep. It's usually bread butter, scrambled eggs, muesli, maggi, flavored oats(on rare occasions), multi grain chapattis and egg burji, idlis (if i wake up early).

As I sauntered around the super market, in the instant noodles shelf, I saw this new brand KOKA from Singapore.

Well what struck me is the name KOKA, which in my mother-tongue is 'Grandpa' so basically I will be eating a Grandpa for breakfast in noodles form. So does that make me a cannibal lecter? I hope not as the ingredients did not mention any powdered bones. LOL. The best was that it had no added MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate).

As I was boiling the noodles in the saucepan, I got the two sachets out,  one was a tastemaker and the other sachet was palm oil. Seeing the palm oil packet, I went into flashback mode. Facts told by my chemical engineer background colleague drifted in my mind. As in his project on oil he came to the conclusion that palm oil has the highest level of cholestrol,  flouting all the PUFA MUFA and all that blah. It is sold for Rs 50 a litre in any kinaara shop. I was thinking should I put the oil or not. I thought what the heck, lets put it and taste it, how much damage can a 10 ml of sachet do. I added the seasoning and a little ketchup.

So, there it was my piping hot Koka noodles, inviting and telling me 'Come and Eat me, eat me'! I took my first bite and it was really different to the noodles that I eat daily like Maggi, Yippe, Foodles, Top Ramen. The taste was not appealing to my tastebuds.I thought it will take time to adjust to my tastebuds, so I packed the rest as a late afternoon snack for office.

In the late afternoon, I heated the noodles in the office's microwave and offered it to my colleagues. I was surprised they had the same expression as me in the morning. I guess we all have to get used to the Singaporean flavor. Definitely I would like to try the other flavours. This noodles also come in flavors like Lobsters,Crab,Fish,Tom Yam, Stir Fry,Chicken,Tomato,Prawn etc. Maybe you can also try any of these flavors and tell me how it tastes.

2 comments:

  1. Good Review :)
    My suggestion here. DON'T TRY.
    I have tried two (can't recall which two though)
    It didn't appeal to my taste buds either :P

    ReplyDelete